CALL FOR POETRY SUBMISSIONS:
Pleiades is currently reading submissions for a special tribute to Dolores Kendrick, former poet laureate of the District of Columbia, who passed away last November. The tribute is curated by Abdul Ali, to whom you should submit your work.
Abdul writes: “What I am looking for are poems that respond either directly or thematically to some of the poems that make up Ms. Kendrick’s body of work.
You might consider African American History, Black Womanhood, Family History, Washington D.C., Being an Educator, Jazz Musicians, writing outside of the Black Arts Movement, Enslaved African Americans, Personae poems, to name a few.”
The deadline is June 15, 2018. Send your poems for consideration at firstname.lastname@example.org with Dolores Kendrick Tribute as the subject. (Update: we have changed the deadline from 7/1 to 6/15 due to a high volume of submissions. Thanks to all those who have submitted!)
Feel free to send your queries to me directly at email@example.com
• Our open reading period is during the months of July (for the summer issue) and December (for the winter issue) only.
• Please direct questions regarding poetry to Jenny Molberg.
• Please direct questions regarding fiction to Phong Nguyen.
• Please direct questions regarding nonfiction to Clint Crockett Peters.
• Entries into the Gail B. Crump Prize in Experimental Fiction and the R.M. Kinder Award in Realistic Fiction are accepted during the months of October (for the Gail B. Crump Prize) and March (for the R.M. Kinder Award). Winners will receive $1000 and publication in Pleiades. The fee to enter is $25 and all entrants receive a subscription to the journal.
• If you are interested in submitting a book review to be considered for the PBR, please query Jennifer Schomburg Kanke in the months of July or December. Queries and unsolicited reviews sent in other months cannot be considered. Reviews should be submitted exclusively by the reviewers themselves (not by the authors of the work being reviewed). Note: PBR book reviews are 800-1200 words.
• Unsolicited book reviews can be submitted via the ONLINE SUBMISSION MANAGER in July or December. If you aren’t sure whether or not we might be interested in a review of a particular book, please query Jennifer Schomburg Kanke (again, in July or December only, please).
• Please submit only through our ONLINE SUBMISSION MANAGER
• Poetry submissions should contain 4-6 poems. There is no page minimum.
• Pleiades DOES accept simultaneous submissions, but we ask that you notify us immediately if a piece is accepted elsewhere.
• To have a book considered for review, send a review copy to: Pleiades Book Review • Dept of English, Martin 336 • University of Central Missouri • Warrensburg, MO 64093. Please note: not all sent books will be reviewed, though we do review 40+ books in each issue.