•We are open for regular submissions during the months of July and December only. Unsolicited poetry, fiction, and nonfiction submissions should be submitted via our online submissions manager. Paper submissions and emailed submissions will not be considered.
•Writers should review past issues of Pleiades to get a sense of our taste and preferences. Order Pleiades here.
• Poetry Submissions: Please send 3-5 poems. We are particularly interested in work that embraces risk and is lyrically inventive. Direct questions regarding poetry to Erin Adair-Hodges.
• Fiction Submissions: Pleiades is looking for exceptional fiction, with a focus on well-developed characters, memorable language, comma, provocatively-wrought subject matter, and immersive settings. While there are no length requirements, our journal has limited space, and manuscripts over 12,000 words will especially need to impress. Some stories may be considered for our “online exclusives” category. Please direct questions regarding fiction to Jennifer Maritza McCauley.
• Creative Nonfiction Submissions: While we enjoy essays and nonfiction in all forms, here at Pleiades we are particularly interested in creative nonfiction that gazes out at the world rather than into the self. This is to say nothing against memoir, only that our publishing aesthetic leans towards the exterior in order to balance what see as a focus on memoir and interiority in most literary journals. Essays that perform a weave of the personal with an outward gaze are very welcome. Limit creative nonfiction submissions to 6,000 words. Please direct questions regarding nonfiction to Clint Crockett Peters.
• Entries into the Gail B. Crump Prize in Experimental Fiction and the R.M. Kinder Award in Realistic Fiction are accepted during the months of October (for the Gail B. Crump Prize) and March (for the R.M. Kinder Award). Winners will receive $1000 and publication in Pleiades. The fee to enter is $25 and all entrants receive a subscription to the journal.
• If you are interested in submitting a book review to be considered for the PBR, please query Brandi George in the months of July or December. Queries and unsolicited reviews sent in other months cannot be considered. Reviews should be submitted exclusively by the reviewers themselves (not by the authors of the work being reviewed). Note: PBR book reviews are 800-1200 words.
• Pleiades DOES accept simultaneous submissions, but we ask that you notify us immediately if a piece is accepted elsewhere. *If you need to withdraw your work from consideration, please email the appropriate genre editor with the subject line “Withdrawal.”
• To have a book considered for review, send a review copy to: Pleiades Book Review • Dept of English, Martin 336 • University of Central Missouri • Warrensburg, MO 64093. Please note: not all sent books will be reviewed, though we do review 40+ books in each issue.